Allison's Wonderland

Allison's Wonderland

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Money Saving Tip at the Grocery Store {Slicing and Freezing Your Own Sausage}


Today I'm just giving a simple tip to save a couple bucks at the grocery store. (If my husband reads this, he will probably laugh out loud at the fact that I'm handing out advice on how to save money...moving on). I just figured this out for myself not long ago because I've been trying to stock up my freezer and make some meals ahead (which I plan to do a post on at a later time) saving time and money in the process.

Well, I usually buy this pack of frozen sausage patties (not the pre-cooked kind, just the ones already in patties that you take out and throw on the skillet). It comes in a box of 30 sausages and it costs $8 at Walmart. That's a lot for some sausage, I think.

One day when I was attempting to save money while grocery shopping, I decided to pick up a 32 oz package of Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage. In a roll. Unformed. How many of you hate waking up in the morning and forming sausage patties? I do.

So this is what I did when I got home. I put that big roll of sausage in the freezer and let it set up until frozen enough to cut through. Then, I sliced the patties myself. And I got 30 patties...wowzers! I only paid $5 for that big roll of sausage and I got the same amount of patties. I just saved myself $3. So I slapped those babies in some ziploc bags and put them in the freezer. Now I can pull them out in the morning and plop them in the skillet just like I did with previously bought sausage. Yay!

FYI, If you try this at home, you can thaw your sausage out completely and form your patties rather than cutting them. However, you will want to place the newly formed patties on a cookie sheet (under parchment paper or silpat) and place in freezer until frozen before placing in ziplocs or the patties will stick together.

No comments: