Allison's Wonderland

Allison's Wonderland

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Summer themed cupcakes {free printable toppers}



I was asked to make cupcakes with a Summer theme for my daughter's Fun Day at school this past Tuesday. They were having a water day outside. This is what I came up with.


I made beach ball toppers -which are available for you to download at the end of this post.

I wanted the beach balls to look like they were sitting in water so I made blue and white swirled frosting. I just recently learned how to do the swirl technique. To learn how to create swirls click here. Basically you put your two colors in two different bags. Put those bags inside another bag. But if you want more details click the link. :-)

I also crushed some cookies to look like sand along the "water."  I think they turned out pretty cute. I didn't think my picky daughter would eat them, though, so the 2 cupcakes you see in the back...unadorned...those are hers. Isn't that awful?!! My own daughter won't eat my cupcakes.

For the actual cupcake, I used my chocolate cupcake recipe from this post.

My vanilla buttercream recipe is as follows:

2 sticks butter
1/2 cup  Crisco - don't use any other brand
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp milk

Whip butter and Crisco until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar. Mix on low until creamy. Add vanilla and milk.

If you would like to download the beach ball cupcake toppers, click here.

Hope you enjoy!

Happy Baking!

No comments: