Allison's Wonderland

Allison's Wonderland

Monday, August 15, 2016

Sippy Cup Conundrum and Other Ramblings


Samuel is 11 months old today. I have one more month before I have a one year old. 4 short weeks. How has this happened? I've been a bit more emotional as the days go by, with this being my last baby. I wanted to get a blog post in to mark this moment because with school starting next week and activities at church beginning in full force again soon, it's about to get real crazy, real fast. I want to make sure to slow down and savor all these "lasts" that I have with my baby.

The last time he crawls, because soon he'll be walking.
The last time he takes a bottle, because he'll be transitioning to a sippy cup.
The last time he wears 9 month clothes, because he's growing into 12 months.
The last time he wakes up in the middle of the night, because....oh wait still doing that.

Point being, time marches on. I need to work on making the most of each day.

Here's a little of what Samuel has been up to in the past few months:

He is now crawling. Which happened just on a random day after taking the kids on a trip to LegoLand. He had been in the stroller for an extended period of time, and I guess he had enough of that. I put him on the floor when we got home and he almost immediately took off. And hasn't slowed down since.

He is also pulling up on whatever is in his reach. I imagine he will be walking within a month or so. But I'm in no rush for that.







As for eating, he is still eating mainly pureed baby food for most meals. I have had success with some table food, such as mashed potatoes, soft breads, and beans. Food still occasionally comes out his nose if something gets stuck in the palate opening. But for the most part, he has become a champ at figuring out how to get his food down.


Our main hurdle we have to get over before the hard palate surgery is the sippy cup conundrum. He has to be completely off the bottle before they will do surgery because he can't take a bottle during recovery. So I have been introducing a variety of sippy cups to him. And he wants nothing to do with any of them.
He won't be able to get proper suction until post surgery, so finding the right sippy cup is tricky. Most brands make no-spill sippy cups which require a lot of suction. The "plug" can be pulled out so that he doesn't have to suck, but then the liquid just pours out. And that's no good. My next step is to purchase the cheap throw away cups and cut small slits in the spout so that the liquid sort of trickles out. I'm praying we have success with this method.

We meet with the surgeon after his first birthday next month for check up. We were told surgery would be scheduled between 14-18 months of age. So that would be between November-March. And that's all I know for now.

My last thoughts for today:

Just this past weekend God gave me a special reminders of His faithfulness to us through this journey.

On Saturday I was repairing a piece of Samuel's changing table caddy that had broken. While I was super gluing this piece back together, I found a small piece of Samuel's lip tape stuck underneath it.

It seemed like so long ago since I was taping his lip each day. How quickly we forget. But how good is God to remind us.

Psalm 124

A song of ascents. Of David.

If the Lord had not been on our side—
    let Israel say—
if the Lord had not been on our side
    when people attacked us,
they would have swallowed us alive
    when their anger flared against us;
the flood would have engulfed us,
    the torrent would have swept over us,
the raging waters
    would have swept us away.
Praise be to the Lord,
    who has not let us be torn by their teeth.
We have escaped like a bird
    from the fowler’s snare;
the snare has been broken,
    and we have escaped.
Our help is in the name of the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.












No comments: